What is Unified Communications?
Unified communications or "UC" is a method of combining different communication methods, such as voice, video, instant messaging, and file sharing, into a single system that makes it easier for our campus students, faculty and staff to connect and collaborate, regardless of where they are or what device they are using.
Some quick examples that illustrate how UC can be used:
- Faculty can offer access to live or recorded class sessions via a Zoom video conference.
- Students can collaborate using Zoom Team Chat on a group project, even when they are working in different locations.
- Provide students easy access to faculty and tutors outside of class hours to help them to succeed in their studies.
Ultimatley, utilizing these tools in one platform will help to make our entire campus more productive. When you have all of your communication tools in one place, it's easier to stay organized and focused. This can help you get more done in less time.
Why Fresno State Uses Zoom Phone
Zoom is familiar to the campus community and will allow for a smooth transition. The University currently uses Zoom for audio and video conference meetings and will expand to include telephone usage across the campus this fall.
Technology Services enlisted a group of approximately 50 campus users from across the University to participate in a 90 day test pilot in spring 2021. Participants concluded that Zoom Phone enhanced their current campus communication processes and provided new ideas with the potential to transform the way they work with colleagues across the entire organization.
What is Zoom Phone?
Click on this link for an overview of the Zoom Phone App. Some of these features in the video may not be available at Fresno State.
When will this change happen?
Zoom Phone was integrated during the summer and fall of 2022.
How will the migration happen?
A plan of action is being developed for the Unified Communications (Zoom Phone) project. Prior to any implementation, the core project team will work closely with deans, chairs, and managers in advance of their migration date.
Communication updates, open forums and training will be provided for the campus community as we move along in the process. Stay tuned for additional information.
Zoom Phone uses a softphone client to receive and make calls from a computer or a mobile device. You can purchase a handset for each of your offices if you choose to. Please visit this webpage for the choices available to purchase and coordinate with your department and area ITL (IT Personnel).
Benefits of Zoom Phone
- No need for a deskphone
- Make and receive calls from your existing Zoom app on your desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile phone (optional)
- Use your cell phone for business calls without having to use your personal cell number (this will use your data plan)
- Voicemail messages will automatically be transcribed
- Seamless transition from chat to voice call to Zoom Meeting
- Intelligent call routing and auto attendants available